Medical assisting overall is ranked as one of the fastest growing occupations in the country. As such, this career field is becoming increasingly popular. This is a great choice for anyone wishing to enter the medical profession, since job advancement is easily attainable through additional licensures and certifications. Delaware provides a great opportunity for aspiring medical assistants and is ranked high in the Bureau of Labor Statistics list of highest paying states. If you want to become a medical assistant, the first step is finding a good medical assistant training program. Delaware has few programs available, but students can choose to attend an accredited school that allows for becoming a certified or registered medical assistant. Although these credentials are not required by the state, many employers give preference to candidates who have taken this extra career step.
Delaware’s Employment Environment
Delaware provides a very good employment environment for medical assistants. It is ranked as one of the ten highest paying states by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and ranks in the middle range for medical assistant employment rates. Currently, there are approximately 50 new job openings for medical assistants each year, meaning that the competition for jobs can be high. By completing an accredited
The Future of Delaware and Medical Assisting
The field of medical assisting is expected to grow much faster than average in Delaware over the next several years. As the demand for trained professionals grows, employment opportunities, salaries, and benefits will rise. As such, this is a prime time to get the training needed to enter this thriving field.
Delaware Medical Assisting Programs
Harris School of Business
- Program Link: Professional Medical Assistant Plus program
- Description: Harris School of Business offers medical assistant training programs at the Dover and Wilmington Campuses. The school offers both day and evening classes so busy students can get the education they need on a schedule that fits around other obligations. The school offers regularly scheduled open houses as well as campus tours for students who are looking for the right program. Skilled representatives of the school will help every step of the way, from registration to job placement. Upon graduation from this program, you will be qualified to sit for the Certified Medical Assistant examination.
- Accreditation: Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES)
- Programs: certificate
- Average Program Length: under one year
- Tuition: $14,200
- Clinical Experience: externship
- Job Placement Rate: 76%
- Fun Fact: Harris School of Business has established relationships with many area employers.
Delaware Technical and Community College
- Program Link: Medical Assisting degree program
- Description: Delaware Technical and Community College offers the medical assisting program at the Wilmington campus. The school has been in operation since 1967 and prides itself in offering a superior education to students. In order to meet the demand for highly skilled healthcare workers, the Wilmington campus is currently in the process of expanding many of its health education facilities and resources. Since the program is CAAHEP accredited, students can sit for the credentialing examination upon graduation.
- Accreditation: Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Programs: Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- Average Program Length: 2 years
- Tuition: $7,580
- Clinical Experience: 192 hour internship
- Job Placement Rate: 75%
- Fun Fact: Delaware Technical and Community College offers classes during the day or evening.
Dawn Career Institute
- Program Link: Medical Assistant diploma
- Description: Dawn Career Institute is conveniently located in Delaware, making it possible to take the bus to classes. The campus offers day and evening classes to fit student needs, and offers a full training program that will prepare students to meet all of the clinical and administrative duties involved in working in a healthcare environment. Students at Dawn can get help in locating and applying for financial aid, and also enjoy a full complement of other student support services.
- Accreditation: Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC)
- Programs: diploma
- Average Program Length: 30 weeks (day); 36 weeks (evenings)
- Tuition: $15,648
- Clinical Experience: Externship
- Job Placement Rate: 71%
- Fun Fact: Dawn has an instructor to student ratio of 15:1 in the classroom and 8:1 in the laboratories, providing individualized instruction and attention.